Sunday, August 19, 2012

Old Florida: Take a left then a right at the Mullet Dip sign.

I came back from Florida last week. I feel it receding from me - a wave on a shoreline. I can only chase it for a minute before it becomes a part of the great, wide ocean. 
Florida is ever so lush this time of year. The daily afternoon thunderstorms make sure of this. While California has eye-popping sunsets, the Florida summer sky almost takes over the horizon, infringing on its earthly compatriot. Those magnificent cumulus clouds demand homage on their sheer magnitude alone.
My cousin and I ventured up the Gulf Coast for a day, it was meant to be 3 days but I got food-poisoning from eating bad oysters. Even this turn in my luck could not diminish the one day we had on the road. I felt so much was packed into that one day. Not only did we see Old Florida, the beauty that most never get to see, we tasted strongly of the friendliness of the people who live there and those just passing through. A man in Apalach, as the natives refer to Apalachicola, told me, "Whenever you're feeling lower than whale manure, you remember that I'm proud of you." I mean, does it get any better than that? I love how a natural openness to 'strangers' was amplified in this place and came back to us tenfold. 

Here are some of my favorite photos from the trip.

 Oh, beautiful North Florida.
 Farm on 464B.
 Goethe State Forest. My favorite photo from the trip. 464B.
 Y'all got some mullet dip?
 Heading into Cedar Key.
 Boat tour, Cedar Key.
 Boat tour, Cedar Key.
 Dinner view.
 The Grady Market, Historic building in Apalachicola.
 Sky over the water. Apalachicola.
 Downtown Apalachicola.
 Go Gators!!!
Storm comin' in ....Hwy 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment